Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Boredom

Boredom is inevitable. Everyday we face boredom and how to overcome it. For college students, like myself, boredom is hard thing to come by. Classes, studying, and homework keep me busy for hours at a time. When I do find some free time, it is usually filled with doing laundry, hanging out with friends or going to the dining hall. Sometimes the work I get assigned from class seems interesting at first, but quickly becomes boring and monotonous. Study is especially boring for me personally. I have often been heard saying I would rather write an essay than study. This is one of the reasons I chose English as my major. Of course there will be tests and quizzes to study for. However, the amount of essays I will have to write will hopefully out weigh the studying. 
     Writing to me is not boring. I enjoy writing because it allows me to write my thoughts down and it allows me to really express my feelings on a topic. Research papers are one of my favorite essays to write. When professors let you choose what topic to write about, I get excited. Conducting research about that topic is an interesting process, and sometimes I have to adjust my topic slightly. When the final paper is completed on my topic of choice, I feel a grand sense of accomplishment. A decent grade on the paper always help my confidence, but just knowing that I did my best and was passionate about my topic is gratifying enough. 
     As this week has progressed, and I have read more poetry than I every have before, I can see how the authors of the pieces I read had similar feelings while writing. They are passionate about poetry and it allows them to clear their mind. Much of the poetry is based on events that occurred in that author’s life. "My Papa's Waltz" by Theodore Roethke is a great example of this. As the reader, we get the feeling that during Roethke's childhood he experienced similar events like the ones occurring in his poem. Although this poem can be interpreted many different ways, the passion and description of the events are solid through the whole piece. When I read this poem, I was able to paint a picture of the events taking place in his work. In order be a good writer, you need to find that passion. Find what you enjoy and what you want to write about. 
     Boredom is something I am very familiar with. When writing on my own, I find that the boredom I faced before is gone. Writing is my own form of meditation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment