Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Seasons of change

Seasons change. Spring flows into summer. A summer change to fall, and fall fades into winter. This change in the weather can be seen in the change in our mood as well. Personally, I find that I am in a better mood when the warmer weather occurs. In the colder months, I tend to be less cheerful and it’s harder for me to stay motivated. Summer is my favorite time of the time year, partly due to the fact that school is out! The change of the seasons is a beautiful time. I love watching the leaves change on the trees and the smell of autumn. In poetry, you can watch the mood or tone of the poem change from the beginning to the end. 
     I recently had the opportunity to read "We Real Cool", by Gwendolyn Brooks. This poem was new to me and I had mixed emotions about it. At the start of the poem you understand that the work takes place in a pool hall. The Golden Shovel seems to be an interesting name for a pool hall. The people there are drinking, smoking and having a good time. As you continue on, the mood remains complex. You can't tell if the people there are trying to escape reality or if they are there to just enjoy themselves. The very last line of the poem puts the reality back into the work. "We die soon". This line states the inevitable. Sooner or later everyone and everything dies. A very somber line if you ask me. Much like the changing of the seasons, the mood of this poem changed drastically. Poetry has the ability to change that quickly. The tone and feeling of a poem can change on a dime. Each year the seasons change, that’s a given. However, the speed at which they do is unknown. I can remember a few years ago, fall changed to winter almost overnight. I was not ready for that change, much like I wasn't ready for the last line in "We Real Cool". The way poetry is able to change so quickly amazes me. Seasons and poetry are similar and is able to affect people in different ways. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment