Thursday, January 8, 2015

Entertainment

I love to be entertained. One of my favorite things to do for entertainment is go see musicals. I have seen three shows on Broadway and they were fantastic. Goosebumps come over me from the first number to the closing scene. Musicals are no the only for of entertainment I enjoy however. Almost everything I do can suffice. Some for longer periods of time than others. Playing FIFA, listening to music, and surfing the web are just a few examples of ways I can be entertained. Believe it or not I am always looking for new ways to keep myself entertained. 
     As the days have progressed, I have found that reading poetry and short stories are a great way for me to stay entertained and keep the boredom at bay. The plot, events, and characters I read about are fascinating. I love to watch the progression of events in a short story. "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner is one of my favorite short stories to read. I had the opportunity to read this work in high school, however I did not enjoy it. I think I might have been to inept to ideas and underlying meanings in this short story to really grasp its meaning. The story progresses through the life of Emily, the main character. The mystery shrouded in the words on the page keeps me wanting more. Each line I can imagine the movements and events happening. Faulkner does a terrific job of using descriptive language in order for the reader to paint a mental image inside their head. I have always enjoyed reading mystery stories. The events that transpire have a bigger meaning than they first appear. Reading this genre of work can keep me entertained for hours and I have often found myself researching the story and trying to find a better understanding why the author wrote what they did. 
     More often than not, I entertain myself through writing. I can sit down and start typing. I write about anything. Usually just about my day and the events that have happened so far, or funny moments hanging out with my friends (yeah there’s a lot of those!) People that write have a better sense of the world around them. They can express their feelings and really get in touch with themselves, that’s my opinion at least. I would say I am easy to entertain. Playing basketball with paper balls and a trashcan is something I have resorted to in the past. Now that I am in college, being entertained has taken on a more mature role. I seek enjoyment from literature and there is no shortage of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment