Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Public Speaking

Public speaking is not one of my strong suits. In high school, I had to give countless presentations in front of my fellow classmates. It seems like every time I have to give a presentation, I get very nervous. However, once it is over, its one of the best feelings in the world. Knowing that you did your best and that your turn to present is over is amazing.  In high school I took voice class. That is when you sing in front of the class, and you have a voice recital twice a year in the preforming arts center. At the time, I hated that class. Now that I am in college, and looking back, taking voice class was extremely helpful. It gave me practice standing in front of a crowd and performing.
            When I gave my poetry presentation, I was nervous. I didn’t really know my classmates that well, and my poem was challenging. I spent countless hours conducting research and preparing my PowerPoint. Going last was not fun, however, it allowed me to observe previous presentations. I saw the pros and cons of each presenter and that aided me when it was finally my turn. Keeping in mind the criteria needed to achieve the highest grade possible, I presented my poem and my thoughts about it. Since my poem, “The Red Wheelbarrow”, was so short, I gave background information on the author followed by how the wheelbarrow has been used throughout history. I then read my poem out loud and gave an analysis about it.  
            Overall, I think that presenting in front of people gets easier each time you do it. The nerves get less and less and finally you are comfortable with people staring at you. I received a 98% on my presentation and I was very pleased with that grade. Presenting poetry, or anything, takes practice and planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment