Monday, January 12, 2015

Surprises

The best things in life can often come without us knowing. Being surprised, in my opinion, is one of the best feelings you can get. For some people it is a natural high. Just like some people can get that natural high from running or playing sports. The surprise is amazing when it happens, and looking back on them is just as exhilarating. Movies, literature, T.V. shows, and just life in general are full of surprises. 
     One of my favorite ways to be surprised is when watching film and television shows. When unexpected events happen that really catches me off guard, that excited me. Sometimes these twists are what keeps me interested in a show. I recently finished a show on Netflix called Californication. The show is about a writing living in Los Angles. Throughout the six seasons of the show, countless twists and turns occur. Events that you never thought would happen take place, and it allowed the show to remain interesting for the entire length of the show. Over winter break, I was able to see the newly released movie, Interstellar. Christopher Nolan, who also directed Inception, directed this film. In the film Interstellar, time travel plays a huge part in the events that take place. I found myself entranced by the idea of time travel and how it affected the characters. I was surprised countless times throughout this film and it had me glued to the screen for the full two hours. Movies and T.V. shows are a great source of surprised, however literature is another great way to become excited and surprised. 
     In literature, surprises happen quite frequently. Plot changes and character progression can be surprising at times, and can keep even the dullest of work intriguing. I enjoy reading literature for this very reason. You never know what is going to happen. The events sometimes have no transition and the changes in the work can happen almost instantly. The author of the work has full control of the events that transpire in his or her work. Some authors, more than others, are known for having more eventful stories. All authors, however, keep their reader enthralled in the piece in one way or another. My favorite works to read are ones that surprise me. Keeping me on my toes when reading each line, not knowing what is going to happen next, is very exciting.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment